- Name: Thomas Walsh
- Office: 32-D569
- Phone: (617) 253-2147
- Email: twalsh[at]mit[dot]edu
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Rutgers University, 2010
- B.S. Computer Science, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)
My CV is available here
I am the co-chair (along with Alborz Geramifard) of the 2013 NIPS workshop on Advances in Machine Learning for Sensorimotor Control. Consider submitting or email me if you have questions.
I am also on the organizing committee for the following special issue. Consider submitting!
Special Issue on Aerospace and Mechanical Applications of Reinforcement Learning and Adaptive Learning Based Control for the Journal of Aerospace Information Systems
- Learning from Demonstration and Apprenticeship Learning
- Reinforcement Learning
- Compact Domain Models
- Machine Learning for Education
- full publication list here.
- Mark Cutler, Thomas J. Walsh, Jonathan P. How. Reinforcement Learning with Multi-Fidelity Simulators In Prceeding of the International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA-14), Hong Kong, 2014. [pdf].
- Alborz Geramifard, Thomas J. Walsh, Stefanie Tellex, Girish Chowdhary, Nicholas Roy, and Jonathan P. How. A Tutorial on Linear Function Approximators for Dynamic Programming and Reinforcement Learning Foundations and Trends in Machine Learning (FTML), 2013 [pdf].
- Alborz Geramifard, Thomas J. Walsh, Nicholas Roy, and Jonathan P. How. Batch-iFDD for Representation Expansion in Large MDPs In Proceedings of the Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI-13), Bellevue, WA, 2013. [pdf]
- Thomas J. Walsh and Sergiu Goschin. Dynamic Teaching in Sequential Decision Making Environments In Proceedings of the Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI-12), Catalina, CA, 2012. [pdf]
- Thomas J. Walsh, Daniel Hewlett, and Clayton T. Morrison. Blending Autonomous Exploration and Apprenticeship Learning In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS-11), Granada, Spain, 2011. [pdf]
- Derek T. Green, Thomas J. Walsh, Paul R. Cohen and Yu-Han Chang. Learning a Skill-Teaching Curriculum with Dynamic Bayes Nets In Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence (IAAI-11), San Francisco, CA, 2011. [pdf]
- Lihong Li, Michael L. Littman, Thomas J. Walsh, and Alexander L. Strehl. Knows what it knows: A framework for self-aware learning. Machine Learning Journal, 82(3):399-443, 2011.
- Thomas J. Walsh, Sergiu Goshin, and Michael L. Littman. Integrating Sample-based Planning and Model-based Reinforcement Learning In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-10), Atlanta, GA, 2010.
- Thomas J. Walsh, Kaushik Subramanian, Michael L. Littman, and Carlos Diuk. Generalizing Apprenticeship Learning across Hypothesis Classes In Proceedings of the Twenty-Seventh International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML-10), Haifa, Israel, 2010. [pdf]
- My old website (with my full publication list) is here.
- Here's a video of RL in action (implemented with the help of many others in the RL^3 Lab back in 2005) on a Sony Aibo trying to escape from a darkened room. video